The ScottsboroCitySchool’s Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is to prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online, prevent unauthorized disclosure of or access to sensitive information, and to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (“CIPA”). As used in this policy, “user” includes anyone using the computers, Internet, email, chatrooms and other forms of direct electronic communications or equipment provided by Scottsboro City Schools (the “network.”). Only current students or employees are authorized to use the network.
The Scottsboro City School’s will use technology protection measures to block or filter, to the extent practicable, access of visual depictions that are obscene, pornographic, and/or harmful to minors over the network. The ScottsboroCitySchool’s reserves the right to monitor users' online activities and to access, review, copy, and store or delete any electronic communication or files and disclose them to others as it deems necessary. Users should have no expectation of privacy regarding their use of ScottsboroCitySchool’s property, network and/or Internet access or files, including email.
Acceptable Uses of the Scottsboro City Schools Computer Network or the Internet
Schools must verify each year students using the computer network and Internet access for that school year have a signed page acknowledging this policy. Students who are under 18 must have their parents or guardians sign this page and schools must keep it on file. Once signed, that permission/acknowledgement page remains in effect until revoked by the parent, or the student loses the privilege of using the ScottsboroCitySchool’s network due to violation of this policy or is no longer a student of Scottsboro City Schools. Employees and other users are required to follow this policy. Even without signature, all users must follow this policy and report any misuse of the network or Internet to a teacher, supervisor or other appropriate Scottsboro City Schools personnel. Access is provided primarily for education and ScottsboroCitySchool’s business. Staff may use the Internet, for incidental personal use during duty-free time. By using the network, users have agreed to this policy. If a user is uncertain about whether a particular use is acceptable or appropriate, he or she should consult a teacher, supervisor or other appropriate personnel of Scottsboro City Schools.
Unacceptable Uses of the Computer Network or Internet
• Violating any state or federal law or municipal ordinance, such as: Accessing or transmitting pornography of any kind, obscene depictions, harmful materials, materials that encourage others to violate the law, confidential information or copyrighted materials;
• Selling or purchasing illegal items or substances;
• Obtaining and/or using anonymous email sites; spamming; spreading viruses;
• Causing harm to others or damage to their property, such as:
1. Using profane, abusive, or impolite language; threatening, harassing, or making damaging or false statements about others or accessing, transmitting, or downloading offensive, harassing, or disparaging materials;
2. Deleting, copying, modifying, or forging other users' names, emails, files, or data; disguising one's identity, impersonating other users, or sending anonymous email;
3. Damaging computer equipment, files, data or the network in any way, including intentionally accessing, transmitting or downloading computer viruses or other harmful files or programs, or disrupting any computer system performance;
4. Using any Scottsboro City Schools computer to pursue “hacking,” internal or external to Scottsboro City Schools, or attempting to access information protected by privacy laws; or
5. Accessing, transmitting or downloading large files, including "chain letters" or any type of "pyramid schemes".
• Engaging in uses that jeopardize access or lead to unauthorized access into others’ accounts or other computer networks, such as:
1. Using another’s account password(s) or identifier(s);
2. Interfering with other users' ability to access their account(s); or
3. Disclosing anyone’s password to others or allowing them to use another’s account(s).
• Using the network or Internet for Commercial purposes:
1. Using the Internet for personal financial gain;
2. Using the Internet for personal advertising, promotion, or financial gain; or
3. Conducting for-profit business activities and/or engaging in non-government related fundraising or public relations activities such as solicitation for religious purposes, lobbying for personal political purposes.
Student Internet Safety
1. Students under the age of eighteen should only access Scottsboro City Schools net accounts outside of school if a parent or legal guardian supervises their usage at all times. The student’s parent or guardian is responsible for monitoring the minor’s use;
2. Students shall not reveal on the Internet personal information about themselves or other persons. For example, students should not reveal their name, home address, telephone number, or display photographs of themselves or others;
3. Students shall not meet in person anyone they have met only on the Internet; and
4. Students must abide by all laws, this Acceptable Use Policy and all Scottsboro City Schools security policies.
Penalties for Improper Use
The use of a Scottsboro City Schools account is a privilege, not a right, and misuse will result in the restriction or cancellation of the account. Misuse may also lead to disciplinary and/or legal action for both students and employees, including suspension, expulsion, dismissal from ScottsboroCitySchool’s employment, or criminal prosecution by government authorities. The Scottsboro City Schools will attempt to tailor any disciplinary action to meet the specific concerns related to each violation.
The Scottsboro City Schools makes no guarantees about the quality of the services provided and is not responsible for any claims, losses, damages, costs, or other obligations arising from use of the network or accounts. Any additional charges a user accrues due to the use of ScottsboroCitySchool’s network are to be borne by the user. The Scottsboro City Schools also denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through user access. Any statement, accessible on the computer network or the Internet, is understood to be the author's individual point of view and not that of ScottsboroCitySchools, its affiliates, or employees.
I have read, understand, and agree to abide by the provisions of the
Acceptable Use Policy of Scottsboro City Schools
PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS PAGE.REFER TO PAGE 27 FOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY.